What is the longest movie ever made? What movie has the longest running time ever? James Cameron’s epic sequel Avatar 2 has a long running time, but what movie is the longest of all time? t about the longest installment in the Marvel, Harry Potter, Disney, and other franchises?
What are some of the movies like The Godfather Part II, The Wolf of Wall Street, Schindler’s List, Titanic, The Irishman, and Avengers: Endgame in common? They all have runtimes of at least three hours, and they all do so by telling tales of fame, tragedy, and infinity.
Unfortunately, the expression of utter delight on my partner’s face when I inform her that a film is 90 minutes or less tells me something: lengthy films are no longer in vogue. To be more precise, they’re even more numerous, but frequently lack sufficient content to warrant their length (nor are intermissions commonplace, which helped liven the numbness of a long sit).
The exception is James Cameron. The incredible, soul-sucking accomplishment that is Avatar: The Way of Water may have you wondering: if Avatar 2 is regarded as long, what is the longest movie ever made?
What Is The Longest Movie Ever Made In The World?
Naturally, there is no quick response to this issue. There are many different things to think about. Is it an experimental film or one made for theatrical entertainment? Was it treated like a movie even though it was broadcast in portions on TV, like Twin Peaks: The Return?
This article will divide the history of prolonged cinema into distinct categories and discuss the longest film in various franchises, including the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Disney, Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings while ignoring the latter subset of “long movies.”
What Is The Longest Movie Ever Made?
The Innocence, also known as Amra Ekta Cinema Banabo, is the longest film ever filmed, contrary to what the Guinness Book of World Records claims to be true about The Cure of Insomnia from 1987.
It is the longest non-experimental film of all time, with a staggering length of 21 hours and 5 minutes (1265 minutes), and was written and directed by Ashram Shishir.
The longest films ever made are listed below that Answer What Is The Longest Movie Ever Made, including Amra Ekta Cinema Banabo:
|Movie||Runtime||Year of release|
|Amra Ekta Cinema Banabo||1265 minutes (21 hours 5 minutes)||2019|
|Resan||873 minutes (14 hours 33 minutes)||1987|
|La Flor||803 minutes (13 hours 23 minutes)||2018|
|Out 1||775 minutes (12 hours 55 minutes)||1971|
|How Yukong Moved the Mountains||763 minutes (12 hours 43 minutes)||1976|
|Evolution of a Filipino Family||593 minutes (9 hours 53 minutes)||2004|
|Shoah||566 minutes (9 hours 26 minutes)||1985|
|Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks||551 minutes (9 hours 11 minutes)||2003|
|Death in the Land of Encantos||538 minutes (8 hours 58 minutes)||2007|
|Heremias: (Book One: Legend of the Lizard Princess)||519 minutes (8 hours 39 minutes)||2006|
|Dead Souls||495 minutes (8 hours 15 minutes)||2018|
|A Lullaby to the Sorrowful Mystery||485 minutes (8 hours 5 minutes)||2016|
|The Works and Days (of Tayoko Shiojiri in the Shiotani Basin)||480 minutes (8 hours)||2020|
|O.J.: Made in America||463 minutes (7 hours 43 minutes)||2016|
|Melancholia||450 minutes (7 hours 30 minutes)||2008|
Which experimental film has the longest runtime of all time?
Logistics, which has a runtime of 35 days and 17 hours, is the longest experimental film (51,420 minutes).
The movie, which was directed by Erika Magnusson and Daniel Andersson, follows the development of a pedometer backward in time. Before making its debut at the 2014 Shenzhen Fringe Film Festival, it was screened between December 1, 2012, and January 6, 2013.
This film is regarded as experimental because it wasn’t made for entertaining or general audiences. A selection of the longest experimental films ever made is provided below:
- Logistics: 51,420 minutes (35 days 17 hours)
- Modern Times Forever: 14,400 minutes (10 days)
- Beijing 2003: 9,000 minutes (6 days 6 hours)
- Cinématon: 9,000 minutes (6 days 6 hours)
- Untitled #125 (Hickory): 7,200 minutes (120 hours 5 days)
What Is The Longest Movie Ever Made by James Cameron?
With a running time of 3 hours and 14 minutes, James Cameron’s Avatar is still his longest film (194 minutes). Avatar 2, which has a runtime of 3 hours and 12 minutes, follows it quickly (192 minutes).
The films of James Cameron are listed in the chronological sequence below, only including those that saw distribution in theatres:
- Titanic: 194 minutes (3 hours 14 minutes)
- Avatar The Way of Water: 192 minutes (3 hours 12 minutes)
- Avatar: 162 minutes (2 hours 42 minutes)
- True Lies: 141 minutes (2 hours 21 minutes)
- The Abyss: 139 minutes (2 hours 19 minutes)
- Terminator 2 Judgment Day: 137 minutes (2 hours 17 minutes)
- Aliens: 137 minutes (2 hours 17 minutes)
- The Terminator: 107 minutes (1 hour 47 minutes)
- Piranha II The Spawning: 94 minutes (1 hour 4 minutes)
What Is The Longest Movie Ever Made by Marvel and what has the longest running time?
Avengers: Endgame, which has a three-hour, two-minute running duration, is the longest Marvel film (182 minutes).
A list of the top five longest Marvel films ever is provided below:
- Avengers Endgame: 182 minutes (3 hours 2 minutes)
- Black Panther Wakanda Forever: 161 minutes (2 hours 41 minutes)
- Eternals: 157 minutes (2 hours 37 minutes)
- Avengers Infinity War: 149 minutes (2 hours 29 minutes)
- Spider-Man No Way Home: 148 minutes (2 hours 28 minutes)
What Harry Potter film has the longest runtime?
The Chamber of Secrets’ two hours and 41 minute running time makes it the longest Harry Potter film to date.
From The Philosopher’s Stone to The Deathly Hallows Part II, each Harry Potter film has run longer than two hours.
The Harry Potter films are listed below in order of length:
- The Chamber of Secrets: 161 minutes (2 hours 41 minutes)
- The Goblet of Fire: 157 minutes (2 hours 37 minutes)
- The Half-Blood Prince: 153 minutes (2 hours 33 minutes)
- The Philosopher’s Stone: 152 minutes (2 hours 32 minutes)
- The Deathly Hallows Part 1: 147 minutes (2 hours 27 minutes)
- The Prisoner of Azkaban: 142 minutes (2 hours and 22 minutes)
- The Order of the Phoenix: 138 minutes (2 hours and 18 minutes)
- The Deathly Hallows Part 2: 130 minutes (2 hours 10 minutes)
Which Disney film has the longest running time?
According to Guinness World Records, with a running time of 126 minutes, Fantasia is the longest Disney film ever produced.
True, Star Wars, Marvel, and Pirates of the Caribbean are all properties of Disney, but that is not the reason you are asking for the longest Disney film, so let’s spare you the minutiae. This does, however, consider Pixar films.
A list of the top five longest Disney films ever is provided below:
- Fantasia: 126 minutes (2 hours 6 minutes)
- The Incredibles: 126 minutes (2 hours 6 minutes)
- Cars: 117 minutes (1 hour 57 minutes)
- The Incredibles: 115 minutes (1 hour 55 minutes)
- Ralph Breaks the Internet: 112 minutes (1 hour 52 minutes)
Which Star Wars film has the longest runtime?
At a running time of 155 minutes, The Rise of Skywalker is the longest Star Wars film ever produced.
Rogue One and Solo are only two examples of the many two-hour-plus Star Wars films that have been released. Below is a list of all of the Star Wars films, arranged by length:
- The Rise of Skywalker: 155 minutes (2 hours 35 minutes)
- The Last Jedi: 152 minutes (2 hours 32 minutes)
- Attack of the Clones: 142 minutes (2 hours 22 minutes)
- Revenge of the Sith: 140 minutes (2 hours 20 minutes)
- The Force Awakens: 138 minutes (2 hours 18 minutes)
- The Phantom Menace: 136 minutes (2 hours 16 minutes)
- Solo A Star Wars Story: 135 minutes (2 hours 15 minutes)
- Rogue One A Star Wars Story: 133 minutes (2 hours 13 minutes)
- Return of the Jedi: 131 minutes (2 hours 11 minutes)
- The Empire Strikes Back: 124 minutes (2 hours 4 minutes)
- A New Hope: 121 minutes (2 hours 1 minute)
Which Lord of the Rings film has ever been the longest?
With a running time of four hours and 23 minutes, The Return of the King Extended Edition is the longest Lord of the Rings film ever produced (263 minutes).
Every Lord of the Rings movie, including the Hobbit trilogy and the animated picture, has lasted at least two hours and sometimes even more.
Every Lord of the Rings film, including the extended editions, is listed below in order of runtime.
- The Return of the King Extended Edition: 263 minutes (4 hours 23 minutes)
- The Two Towers Extended Edition: 223 minutes (3 hours 43 minutes)
- The Fellowship of the Ring: 208 minutes (3 hours 28 minutes)
- The Return of the King Theatrical Edition: 201 minutes (3 hours 21 minutes)
- The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition: 186 minutes (3 hours 6 minutes)
- An Unexpected Journey Theatrical Edition: 182 minutes (3 hours 2 minutes)
- The Two Towers Theatrical Edition: 179 minutes (2 hours 59 minutes)
- The Fellowship of the Ring Theatrical Edition: 178 minutes (2 hours 58 minutes)
- An Unexpected Journey Theatrical Edition: 169 minutes (2 hours 49 minutes)
- The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition: 164 minutes (2 hours 44 minutes)
- The Desolation of Smaug Theatrical Edition: 161 minutes (2 hours 41 minutes)
- The Battle of the Five Armies Theatrical Edition: 144 minutes (2 hours 24 minutes)
- The Lord of the Rings: 132 minutes (2 hours 12 minutes)
What Is The Longest Movie Ever Made In Hollywood?
With a running time of four hours and eight minutes, Cleopatra is still the longest Hollywood film ever produced (248 minutes). Gone with the Wind follows closely behind, coming in only 10 minutes later.
The top five lengthiest Hollywood productions, excluding director’s edits, are listed below in order of runtime:
- Cleopatra: 248 minutes (4 hours 8 minutes)
- Gone with the Wind: 238 minutes (3 hours 58 minutes)
- Once Upon a Time in America: 229 minutes (3 hours 49 minutes)
- The Ten Commandments: 220 minutes (3 hours 40 minutes)
- Lawrence of Arabia: 216 minutes (3 hours 36 minutes)
What Is The Longest Cinematic Movie Ever Made?
With a running time of 168 minutes, In This Corner (and Other Corners) of the World holds the record for being the longest animated film ever made.
The top five animated films with the longest runtimes, including anime, are listed below, in order of runtime:
- In This Corner (and Other Corners) of the World: 168 minutes (2 hours 47 minutes)
- Final Yamato: 163 minutes (2 hours 43 minutes)
- The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya: 162 minutes (2 hours 42 minutes)
- The Tragedy of Man: 160 minutes (2 hours 40 minutes)
- Sangokushi The Distance Land: 157 minutes (2 hours 37 minutes)
What Is The Longest Kids Movie Ever Made?
Finding the longest kids’ movie ever created is challenging because there are so many movies geared toward kids with varied runtimes. The 2018 film “Dances with the Dragons,” which was directed by Hiroshi Nishikiori, has a duration of 3 hours and 10 minutes, making it one of the longest children’s films ever filmed. It is an animated movie with fantasy and action themes that are based on a Japanese light book series. Though the movie is intended for a younger audience, due to its themes and material, it might not be appropriate for all kids.
FAQs Regarding What Is The Longest Movie Ever Made
Q1. What is the longest movie ever made in the us?
The record-holder for the longest narrative feature film produced in the US is “Logistics” (2012), which was directed by Erika Magnusson and Daniel Andersson and has an 857-hour running time (35 days and 17 hours). Nonetheless, because of its experimental style and unusual distribution, this movie is not generally regarded as a classic feature.
Q2. What is the longest musical movie ever made?
Tom Hooper’s “Les Misérables” (2012) is the longest musical film ever created. The movie lasts two hours and forty-eight minutes. Yet if we look at stage-to-screen musical adaptations, Norman Jewison’s “Fiddler in the Roof” (1971), which has a duration of 3 hours and 1 minute, is the longest musical movie in that category. It’s important to note that these movies are narrative musicals with a full duration rather than experimental or avant-garde movies like “The Cure for Insomnia.”
Q3. What Is The Longest American Movie Ever Made?
John Henry Timmis IV’s “The Cure for Insomnia” holds the record for the longest American film ever filmed. The longest movie ever created, it was released in 1987 and has a runtime of 87 hours (5,220 minutes). A poet recites his poetry in a single shot for more than three days and nights in the film.
Q4. What is the longest sequel to a movie ever made?
The “Friday the 13th” franchise, which has 12 total features, is a contender for having the longest sequel. The first movie came out in 1980, while “Jason Goes to Hell: The Last Friday,” the last one, came out in 1993. The franchise’s 12 movies have a combined runtime of about 18 hours and 38 minutes. The “James Bond” film series, which consists of 25 episodes and has a total running time of almost 48 hours and 30 minutes, could be another possibility.
Q5. What is the length of the longest movie ever made?
According to Guinness World Records, the 1987 movie “The Cure for Insomnia” is the longest movie ever created. John Henry Timmis IV was the director of the 85-hour experimental movie.
Click here for more pieces of information.